- Published Date
- Hits: 877
One of the prime public squares in Paris, the Place de la Concorde is an octagonal square between the Champs-Élysées and Tuileries Gardens. The area of the square is 8.64 hectares which makes it a major square in Paris. You can locate this square in the cities eight arrondissement. It is at the eastern end of the Champs-Élysées. The Madeleine Church divides the square through a vista and it is bounded together by the Seine River, Champs-Élysées, and the Tuileries gardens.
The zero marker is the official centre of the national highways and the square is the locus. A monumental bridge, the Pont de la Concorde leads from the Place to the other side of Seine. Jacques Gabriel was the one who built the square between 1755 and 1792. It was planned as a monument originally in the rule of Louis XV. His statue stood in the centre and it was called “Place Louis XV.” The statue was torn down and the name of the square was changed to “Place de la Revolution” in 1792. The guillotine was set up and transformed the area into a site of mass killings and executions.
The name “Concorde” was adopted under the Directory. In 1836, a red granite column, the central obelisk, which is 23 meters high, was made as a gift for the Egyptian viceroy. Between 1836 and 1846, the fountains were built.