- Published Date
- Written by Paris Attractions Editor
- Hits: 1006
The Greek temple situated at the northern part of the Place the Concorde is the 'La Madeleine' or 'L'église de St-Marie-Madeleine'. The beautiful infrastructure is actually a church which was made to honor St. Mary Magdalene. In French, she is known as Madeleine, thus, the name of the structure.
L'église de la Madeleine, or L'église Sainte-Marie-Madeleine (or simply "La Madeleine"), is a church found at Paris’ 8th arrondissement made as a temple to glorify the army of Napoleon. The inside portion of the church is decorated with marble. At the back of the altar, there is an amazing sculpture made by Charles Marochetti, depicting Mary Magdalene ascending to Heaven.
La Madeleine is a temple honored to Mary Magdalene and was constructed by Napoleon to celebrate the glory of the military despite the proposals to change the building into a parliament or library. Napoleon desired to make a mirror building of the Palais Bourbon which can be found on the opposite side of the Seine River and both the buildings have the same design.